Thursday 17 December 2009

First outing for the 18th-century smock

Bea was not at all sure when I showed her the 18th-century smock I bought from Red House. It was meant for a shoot - but I knew it was destined for my wardrobe. She's used to my penchant for peasant-chic, but even she thought perhaps this was a step too far. Calf-length, completely shapeless, sewn from the coursest linen hopsack, with a mysterious B & A embroidered in red crossstitich at the neck... but it had potential. So I hemmed it shorter (are you allowed to do that to antique things? Well, too late) and wore it layered over a white long-sleeve t-shirt from Jigsaw, thick grey tights from Falke, my Swedish Hasbeens clog boots, and belted it with my new red snakeskin Nicole Farhi (sample sale scored) belt. On top, a knitted waistcoat bought from a Bude charity shop for £1.

1 comment:

  1. Hannah - let it be known that i simply ADORE you in your goat herdess garb.

    ReplyDelete